NixOS is an independently developed GNU/Linux distribution that aims to improve the state of the art in system configuration management. In NixOS, the entire operating system, including the kernel, applications, system packages and configuration files, are built by the Nix package manager. The distribution’s latest release is NixOS 21.05 “Okapi” features significant upgrades to the Linux kernel and GNU Compiler Collection, along with the GNOME, Cinnamon, and KDE Plasma desktops.
Support is planned until the end of December 2021, handing over to 21.11. In addition to numerous new and upgraded packages, this release has the following highlights: Core version changes:
- gcc: 9.3.0 -> 10.3.0; glibc: 2.30 -> 2.32;
- default linux: 5.4 -> 5.10, all supported kernels available;
- mesa: 20.1.7 -> 21.0.1;
- Desktop Environments: GNOME: 3.36 -> 3.40, see its release notes;
- Plasma5: 5.18.5 -> 5.21.3;
- kdeApplications: 20.08.1 -> 20.12.3;
- Cinnamon: 4.6 -> 4.8.1;
- Programming Languages and Frameworks: Python optimizations were disabled again. Builds with optimizations enabled are not reproducible. Optimizations can now be enabled with an option. The linux_latest kernel was updated to the 5.12 series. It currently is not officially supported for use with the ZFS filesystem. If you use ZFS, you should use a different kernel version (either the LTS kernel, or track a specific one).
GParted Live 1.3.1-1 Released
The latest update to the project’s Debian-based live CD image containing a variety of specialist disk partitioning and data rescue utilities: GParted Live 1.3.1-1 stable release. The GParted team is pleased to announce a new stable release of GParted Live. This release includes GParted 1.3.1,…
Devuan 4.0 Alpha Builds Updated Released
Back in April Devuan 4.0 alpha builds began for this Debian fork/downstream that aims for init system freedom by allowing Debian GNU/Linux to work without a dependence on systemd. Devuan 4.0 is tracking upstream Debian 11 quite closely with its changes. Following this weekend’s full…
Linux 5.14-rc2 Released
Linus Torvalds just released Linux 5.14-rc2 as the latest weekly test candidate of the maturing Linux 5.14 kernel. Given that it’s a week past the Linux 5.14 merge window, there isn’t any shiny new features to talk about but a lot of fixes. Some fixes/improvements…
WordPress 5.8 “Tatum” Released
Yesterday is an exciting day for the WordPress community because the release of WordPress 5.8 “Tatum”. So let’s see what’s new.
Sony Xperia 1 III Receive Android 12 update
Just the other day, we learned that Sony Xperia 1 III may only receive one major Android OS update. Sony has confirmed that it will not be the case. The phone won’t just receive Android 12, it may also get Android 13 although it wasn’t…
Best Linux Distro For Beginners and Experienced Users 2021
Each Linux distribution has its own uniqueness and features. It becomes best when it continuously improves in quality, features, user experience and security. The best Linux distribution – have to consider for beginners and experienced. Based on interest users can choose the their Linux Distributions….